Monday, March 16, 2009

Week 8: Live Long and Prosper!

Educational Applications and Reflections


Well fellow crew members, we are now at our "Journey's End." I hope you have found learning various Web 2.0 technologies via a Web 2.0 medium both informative and practical. For those of you who weren't able to devote as much time as you planned, please feel free to go back and explore these applications later. This blog will stay up on the web until (at least) the start of the fall semester.

It would be a great help to receive feedback on this professional development course. There is a tentative plan to expand this online adventure to the state of Kentucky; thus, it would be a great help in planning that course to learn what was successful about this one and what could be improved. Some thoughts to consider:
  • Did you like that it was in a Web 2.0 format, or would you have rather had it on a specific date and time?
  • Did you find it dry and boring? Entertaining?
  • Were there enough practical examples?
  • Were the steps clear and easy to follow/ too confusing?
  • Were the videos helpful/ distracting?
  • What did you like most/ least about this journey? Etc.
  • Also, if you created any blogs, wikis, delicious accounts, etc. share their URLs!
I'd appreciate the same quality of feedback that you would like to receive from your students or supervisor---please no generic one-liners such as "it was great!" What specifically made it great or poor?

For those of you who take the time to do this, you will be eligible for a GPS prize drawing... (hint, hint, wink, wink...)

Either leave a Comment below or email me at beammeup@murraystate.edu. I will then summarize the statements and include them in the final post.

Thanks for being part of this Internet journey. It has been a pleasure being your 'captain!'

Dif-tor heh smusma,

Lilia Murray













Summary of Educational Applications:


2 comments:

Unknown said...

This was a great course even if I did end up falling behind and playing catch up spring break week. I like that it was in a Web 2.0 format without date limitations, that is one of the reasons I signed up and stayed with it.
I found something interesting in all of it and I especially enjoyed the video tutorials. They were very helpful as well as the step by steps of practical examples. The steps were clear for the most part. I only wish there were more in-depth options once one got in to set up something that would go into more detail. For example, with social bookmarking which is now on my computer in the office, but I don't know if I've set it up to share my favorites. There was one bookmark of mine that I went to that others also had bookmarked that I felt should have been marked "private" such as my home warranty bookmark with account numbers. I don't know if others can read my account now.

What I liked most about this journey is that is opened my eyes and knoweldge to Web 2.0 because I wasn't clear what the term meant and learned that I knew some of it, but still had a lot to learn about it.

I hope you will keep the course outline up for awhile so that if we wanted to go back and review or research something, it would be there at a later time.

Thanks so much for offering this course. You have been a great "captain."

Susan Marinoff

Lilia Murray said...

Hi Susan!

Thanks for leaving feedback--it will be really helpful in revising the course!

I wish you would have asked about the delicious question earlier--I could have saved you some grief about that! If you're unsure as to whether or not any of your favorites are shared with the world, just sign out of delicious and go to your delicious url.

For example: my delicious url is http://delicious.com/liliamurray If I wanted to make sure no one else could see a bookmark, I would 'sign out' and see what book marks remain. Those that are still up and the ones everyone can see.

You could also double-check within your account when you're signed in. Just click on a site in your right-hand side bar. When it appears in the middle of your screen, if it just says "EDIT l DELETE" underneath it, it is shared with the world. If it says "SHARE l EDITl DELETE" then it is currently NOT shared with the rest of the world.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to leave another Comment!

Thanks again for being part of this journey!

Internet Next Generation Video