Monday, January 19, 2009

Week 1: Beam Me Up!

Getting Started



There's a joke:

Q: How many staff and faculty does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Change!!?!!

OK, so maybe the only person who doesn't fear change is a baby that has a wet diaper. Yet, Web 2.0 is affecting the way those in higher education interact with students. "It is no longer enough to pump out information like gasoline and expect authentic learning to take place - the new generation of learners demand to be engaged, active and part of a collaborative knowledge building community" (Thompson, 2007). This blog hopes to encourage your exploration of Web 2.0 new technologies in a fun and easy manner.

If at any time you have a question, please contact me via the “IM Chat” box that is located in the right hand column of this blog. Simply type your question in the box and hit enter. I will try to be available as much as possible. However, if my status shows me as "off line" please feel free to post a question to the blog under the “Comments” section for that week. (Learn how in this week's Trek 3). I will do my best to respond quickly.


Course Structure:

This Internet Trek will run for 8 weeks, beginning the week of January 19, 2009 and finishing the week of March 12, 2009. Every week you are encouraged to complete the given exercises ("treks") and post to the blog about that week’s assignment. If you would like to see future topics, please refer to Course Outline link in the right hand tool bar.

In order to properly access assignment materials posted on the Internet, please make sure that your computer is equipped with either headphones or speakers and that the sound in not muted.

Everything is online; if you get busy and miss a week or two, it won't be a problem. Each week's information will be available by linking to the Blog Archive page in the right hand column of this blog. Access the information at your own pace and at your own convenience.

Since you will be creating many new Internet accounts, I recommend that you create a Word doc. table for easy username and password retrieval. (A sample template is attached to the email I sent out earlier). If you keep track of your accounts in this manner, you won't have to worry about remembering all of the various site addresses and account information. Believe me, they can easily be forgotten, especially if you don't come back to them for a few week or months. The table can include the site's URL address, your username, and your password. Save it in your Docs folder or print out the template to hand-write the information as it comes up each week.


The Next Generation: an Introduction

So what is the difference between the NEXT Generation (Web 2.0) and the Previous Generation (Web 1.0)? Basically, Web 1.0 included many restrictions, the most prevalent being privacy concerns, computer illiteracy, and slow Internet connections. This produced a one-way flow of information with websites consisting of "read-only'"resources. In contrast, Web 2.0 allows users to do more than simply read information; it promotes networking, with many users being contributors and producers of information. Thus, this NEXT Generation is characterized by an inter-connectivity and interactivity of web-delivered content.

For example, personal webpages were popular in Web 1.0, consisting of mainly static pages. Today, dynamically generated blogs and social networking sites, such as Facebook and MySpace, are more common, since they allow visitors to share their thoughts in a way that was not available with Web 1.0.


Trek 1: Watch this video; it will help explain the differences:


Trek 2: Read the following articles:


Trek 3: Leave a Comment!

Introduce yourself to the rest of the "crew" and include what you hope to learn from the course.

(One "posts" when a new topic is introduced and one "comments" when responding to a post or another comment.) To create a Comment:

  • Simply click on the "Post a Comment" link found at the bottom of this post.
  • A new page will appear; type your comment in the box found towards the upper right-hand corner
  • Complete the word verification and enter the letters/ characters you see in the box
  • Choose your identity via:
    --- Google/ Blogger (If you already have a Google account, you can choose this option)
    --- Open ID (If you have an AIM or Wordpress account)
    --- Name/ URL (This is probably the simplest one to choose)
    --- Anonymous (If you don't want to share your name)
  • Click the orange Publish Your Comment button

Students today arrive at our university expecting a trans-formative education. How will we react to these students that are accustomed to the Web 2.0 world? Will the use of these new applications cause fear and consternation, or will we learn to incorporate them in a positive and educational way? "It will not be easy, but the next generation will create new models of scholarly publishing and learning, regardless of whether we choose to participate. The only question will be what role we carve out for ourselves" (Thompson, 2007).


Works Cited

Maloney, E. (2007, January 5). What web 2.0 can teach us about learning. Chronicle of Higher Education, 53(18), B26-B27.

Thompson, J. (2007, April 20). Is Education 1.0 ready for Web 2.0 students? Retrieved November 6, 2008 from http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2007/04/20/web_20_takes_on_colleges.htm

Weller, M. (2008, June 16). SocialLearn: bridging the gap between Web 2.0 and higher education. Retrieved November 6, 2008 from http://mfeldstein.com/sociallearn-bridging-the-gap-between-web-20-and-higher-education/


Prepare for warp speed on January 26th with "Resistance is Futile: The Blog!"

17 comments:

Dr. Glynn Mangold said...

Hey, guys! This is good stuff! I think the way we do our jobs is going to change drastically in the next few years. I look forward to reading your posts.

Glynn Mangold
Professor of Marketing

Anonymous said...

What a timely subject for me. I am currently a doctoral student at the University of Kentucky and am taking a pedagogy seminar class this semester as a requirement for my program.

I am a certified athletic trainer in the athletic department and also teach in the Dept. of Wellness and Therapeutic Sciences. The technological developments that have occurred in even just the last couple of years have sped past me, I feel like, and I am hoping this eight week course here, might catch me up a little bit. I realize many of my students are light years ahead of me in these areas, so maybe this spaceship will catch me up! :-)

I look forward to this course. I hope I can keep up.

Unknown said...

Susan Marinoff, BS, Sponsored Programs Office...
I am familiar with a lot of the topics planned in this course mainly because I just graduated in May 2008 and had to learn about social networking in my public relations classes. Facebook was something I had to become a part of because as a student it was the only way to connect with other students.

I have the classroom theory on many of these topics, but I am looking forward to getting hands-on use through this course. I am very much looking forward to the next eight weeks!

MSUflyer said...

This is a wonderful opportunity for us to really begin to look at the huge changes in store in the coming months and weeks. I completely agree with first article that spoke to course management issues. The vendors keep wanting to add "features" in order to generate a percieved need from customers. Yet, they just don't get what is happening with technology and this whole new approach to what the universities need to be looking at. I really look forward to the discussions that should develop among this group.

Anonymous said...

Hi, everyone. I consider myself fairly behind in most things techonological but am fascinated by the implications of Web 2.0 in my teaching and as a general change in how information is obtained and shared. Interesting stuff!

Anonymous said...

Bravo Lilia. This is a great opportunity to actually participate in these technologies instead of just reading about them. Thanks for putting together such a lively and engaging "lesson"!

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to learning more about new technologies and how to use them. I work at the library and see the changes over the past 3-4 years and am interested in what will happen in the near future. I definitely see the difference in the way classes are being taught from when I was in college in the early 90's. I like all the new ways to connect with people and learn. Thank you Lilia, for putting together a program to explain the new processes.

Anonymous said...

Before reading these articles and posts, I would have categorized myself as comfortable, but not savvy with current technology. Now I'm not so sure...which is one reason why I'm delighted to have this opportunity. I have a lot to learn, and I'm eager to find new ways to make the content and skills I hope to teach more accessible and interesting to my students. We talk a lot about "meeting our students where they are"; these Web 2.0 technologies appear to be a logical vehicle.

This is my second year in the English and Philosophy department. I study eighteenth-century print culture--the uneven, recursive shift between manuscript and print--so I'm particularly curious to learn more about the transition from print to electronic media.

VICKI A said...

LOOKING FORWARD TO THE TECH FUTURE AND LEARNING IT.

Anonymous said...

The Nashville Public Relations Society (PRSA) is hosting their monthly luncheon next week that relates exactly to our Internet: The Next Generation topic. I plan on attending and will report back with what I learn. Here's a link if you're interested:
http://www.prsanashville.com/

Anonymous said...

I hate to complain, but the white letters on black background are killing my eyes. Any chance we can change it to something else?

Thanks,

Glynn

Lilia Murray said...

I just changed the background to a blue shade; the font is the same light gray. Is this any better?

Lilia Murray said...

I've also increased the size of the text fonts...

Anonymous said...

This is all new to me. I know my students use Facebook and Myspace, but I have never even looked at them. I have a niece who is on all the time (she's a Freshman in Michigan). Maybe I need to ask permission to join her space to see what all the hoopla is. This should be a good intro for us. I can already see that web class groups might meet differently than they do now.

Anonymous said...

Hello all. I am anxious to learn better ways to teach using the web.

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy a way to get pushed off balance in a forward direction! Thanks for putting all of this together for us!

Anonymous said...

This is an absolutely great opportunity to discover ways that we can dramatically change the delivery and quality of instruction. For all who say "students want to interact with me." Here it is! One great things is that it is now February 13th and I have the means to "catch up" within the next week. Thanks Lilia!

Internet Next Generation Video