Monday, January 26, 2009

Week 2: Resistance is Futile

The Blog


Borgs...Blogs...same difference. They're taking over...!

Four years ago, most people would have given you a blank look if asked about blogs. Today it's a mainstream global phenomenon.

blogblogblogsblogs

And that was 4 years ago! Technorati's 2008 State of the Blogosphere Report indicates that:
  • 346 million people read blogs worldwide,
  • 77% of active Internet users read blogs,
  • 58% of U.S. bloggers are OVER THE AGE 35!
  • blogs are "here to stay: Bloggers have been at it an average of three years and are collectively creating close to one million posts every day. Blogs have representation in top-10 web site lists across all key categories, and have become integral to the media ecosystem."
So what is a blog? The term is actually a contraction of "Web log." It is essentially a website where entries are created in a journal/newsletter style and displayed in reverse chronological order. This website is a blog. Most blogs combine text, images, links, and other media related to its topic. The capability for readers to express comments is an important interactive part of most blogs. (Remember, to leave a comment, simply click on the "Post a Comment" link found at the bottom of each post. For more information, refer back to last week's post and read its Trek 3).

Trek 1: Watch this brief video for an introduction to blogs:




Trek 2: Read Blogger's Tutorial. Once finished, go ahead and click on the blue button "Create A Blog" to set-up your own personal blog; it can be about a hobby, work, your life, or even your Web 2.0 thoughts and discoveries. IMPORTANT NOTE: How you choose to identify yourself on your blog is your choice. You can blog under a screen name, anonymously, or as yourself.

Creating a blog using Blogger takes just three steps:

1.
Create an account
2.
Name your blog
3.
Choose your template

Be sure to save your login, password, and blog address in that Word doc. table you created last week!!!


Trek 3: Play around and create your first post, edit, or customize your blog:
  • Go to http://www.blogger.com/ and login.
  • Hit the Customize link found in the upper right-hand corner.
  • Next, click on the appropriate left-hand tab (Posting, Settings, or Layout).
    Notice the links below the tabs will change depending on which tab you selected.
To simply view your blog:
Trek 4: Educational Applications...
  • UThink These blogs are "available to the faculty, staff, and students of the University of Minnesota, and are intended to support teaching and learning, scholarly communication, and individual expression for the U of M community."
  • Comment Press, an open source theme for a blogging engine that allows readers to comment paragraph by paragraph in the margins of a text.
  • Web 2.0 in Schools "These findings are exciting because they signal the timely, if not prescient, nature of the Standards for the 21st Century Learner."
  • Chronicle News Blog Blog from the Chronicle of Higher Education

Trek 5: Write a Comment below about how you might be able to use blogs in your area of work. Or, if you created a blog, include your blog's URL.


Works Cited

Read, B. (2007, September 28). Marginally better: software uses side notes to turn books into
discussions. Chronicle of Higher Education, p. A23.

Richardson
, W. (2005, October). Blog revolution. Technology & Learning, 26(3), 48.


The voyage continues February 2nd with "Shields Up! Rrrrrred Alert! RSS Alert Systems"

12 comments:

MSUflyer said...

I think I may have cheated as I created a blog about my hobby (RC airplanes) but it is still a very interesting idea regardless of how one uses it. My problem is time, time, time. There are so many things I am interested in and would love to write about and I never seem to get around to it. This might be an excellent way to start doing some of these things when I only have small snippets of time to work. Thanks so much for leading this Lilia. I would never have made myself actually go out and do these things without this.

MSUflyer said...

Sorry, I forgot to post the URL for my blog:
http://msuflyer.blogspot.com/

Lilia Murray said...

What an interesting blog! Thanks for sharing!

Tom Lough said...

I agree with the concern about time, time, time. Yet, our students MAKE the time to blog away. How to motivate them to blog about our course content or activities? Well, I guess that is our challenge...
Tom Lough

Dee said...

I had already started a blog in November. I am looking forward to learning new things I can do with the blog. Here is my blog: http://aroseisarose-rose.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I waffled a bit (okay, a lot) about creating a blog, partly because it seems so permanent: once it's launched into cyberspace, it's always there.

The other major source of foot-dragging was from an earlier blog experience. I did my graduate work at a school where the composition program was heavily technology based. We routinely had students create electronic portfolios with Mozilla. One semester about 5 years ago, I set up a class blog on Blogspot--with less-than-hoped-for results. I suspect my lack of confidence had a lot to do with it.

I think, however, that there's so much potential for blogs that I really feel pressured to become more comfortable with them, and much more facile at producing them. So, I'll work on this one a bit--as time permits. I think my next goal is to find out how to upload images.

http://retellingsandintersections.blogspot.com/.

Anonymous said...

I started a blog last year about my granddaugher, Haylee, so that her grandparents in Georgia could follow the things she does that they rarely get to attend. A friend showed me how to get started and it's been really easy to do. The address is http://hayleegrace.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I decided to set up a blog for the College of Education and I did. Boy, do I have a long way to go. But as they say keep on keeping on. The URL is http://msucollegeofeducation.blogspot.com/

Lilia Murray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lilia Murray said...

Hi Kelley!

Your blog sounds like it was a great class!

If you want to upload images to the main page of this blog, just click on the Customize link found towards the top. Then click the "Layout tab" also found towards the top. Then towards your main page sidebar, click on "Add a Gadget;" scroll down and then click on the plus sign next to "Picture." A pop-up window should occur. Choose either an image from your computer or from a URL.

Hope this helps!

Lilia Murray said...

Nicely done, Yancey!

The blog looks proefessional and the added image really adds interest to the site.

Lilia Murray said...

Hi Sheri!

What a cute blog about your granddaughter! I'm sure she must feel so flattered to have her own site dedicated to her.

Internet Next Generation Video